Thursday, July 7, 2011

Waffles of Insane Greatness.

Today I realized it was Wednesday. I thought it was Tuesday. Technically, if you're reading this then it's already Thursday. Confused? Me too. Hey, look, waffles!
The art of distraction. I has it.

I had brilliant baking schemes planned for this week, honestly I did, but between the 4th of July, spontaneously visiting my boyfriend, eating lots of barbeque, setting off fireworks, seeing Transformers twice, and thinking it was only Tuesday... it just didn't happen. So I thought we could just relax today. Have some coffee. Stay in our pajamas. Talk about waffles and boys and True Blood. 

Mmm. Waffles. Crispy, crunchy, fluffy waffles. Forget talking about them, let's eat a tower of them.

I know. I just posted waffles. Chocolate waffles. Why would you make these when you could make chocolate waffles? 

I'll tell you why. One word: buttermilk. 

Also: They're life-changing. They're delicious. They taste like funnel cakes. They make boyfriends happy. They're golden and crispy on the outside, and light, airy, and tender on the inside. It's crispy, sweet-but-not-too-sweet cake for breakfast, covered in melted butter and berries and surgary syrup. Get on this.
Sigh. I wish I had one right now.
Oh and two things: 

1. Don't be afraid to double (triple! quadruple!) the recipe. This only made enough for about 2-3 people... if the third person wasn't very hungry and if neither of these people were my boyfriend. And my wafflemaker makes really thin waffles, so if you want thicker, Belgian-style waffles, I imagine it'll make even less.

2. After mixing the waffle batter together, it needs to rest for 30 minutes. What? I know. I didn't read that part until I was ready to fire up the wafflemaker... and then I had to deal with a hungry boyfriend for half an hour. Can I tell you? Not pretty.   
Waffles of Insane Greatness

Printable Recipe

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk together to blend. In another mixing bowl, beat together the milk, buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk just until incorporated and few lumps remain. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Fill waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cook until crisp and golden. Serve immediately.